Thursday, March 6, 2008

Florida Kitsch and Alligators

One of the art forms practised here (and I think more popular in Florida than anywhere else in the world) is the use of "kitsch" art to decorate both inside and outside the house. This art form originated, I believe, with the placement of pink flamingos outside the house. Well, I have not seen any pink flamingos, as people here have moved well beyond that phase . . . to alligators, cranes, frogs, ducks, lighthouses and a myriad other art forms. I have been looking for a good subject to photograph, so maybe at some point in the future I can show you some of the most dazzling examples native to this habitat. I came across a mother lode of these for sale at the Red Barn Flea Market nearby. Be sure to put this place on your list to visit when you are down here, so that you can stock up and display this wonderful art form in your own neighbourhood. Your neighbours will be impressed!

Here are some pictures taken at the Flea Market so you can start making your selections now.
. . . and as in my last post, the sign above is very popular (who says us Floridians do not have a sense of humour).
Actually (as Callum would say), talking of "kitsch" alligators, we understand there are real alligators in the lakes in our community. We get possession of our house, which is on a lake, on April 1, so I hope to eventually get some alligator pictures to show you, but until then here is a picture of an alligator that was at least 10 feet long that we spotted recently at the Myakka State Park near Sarasota.

2 comments:

Yvonne Crawford said...

Oh Brian would love going shopping for all of that stuff...hahaha!

Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves there!

Linda Storey said...

I LOVE the gecko's/lizards! I seriously want one! Birthday gift?